Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Homesick on CNY

Happy Chinese New Year and Gong Xi Fa Cai everyone!


I think I can safely say that all of you who are reading this blog will be having much more fun than I am during this time of festivities. Can’t believe I missed celebrating CNY in Singapore two years in a row. There is zilch atmosphere here in Brisbane – well maybe there is a little bit but I avoided Sunnybank and Fortitude Valley altogether last weekend. But CNY to me is not just about the lion dances, pineapple tarts and mandarins. It’s more about spending time with the family and close friends, be it sitting around the table eating ‘gua zi’s or sharing a joke or two over the much anticipated reunion dinner.


Having said that, I must admit I had a relaxing long weekend with Pen’s family and my good friend Izaeel. What can I say? Thank God for friends who are in the same boat as you? Haha.


Izaeel and I caught the much talked-about Twilight on Friday night at Garden City. After two hours, it was not difficult to see just why so many teenage girls had fallen for the made-believe perfection that is Edward Cullen. Even us ‘oldies’ were smitten for a moment but were quickly pulled back to reality upon seeing the ring on our finger.


Come Sunday evening, Mummy Luciana once again made us daughters-in-law feel at home by preparing a feast for ‘reunion dinner’.


On the first day of CNY which also happened to be Australia Day (Yay for me coz’ it’s a holiday!), I joined Izaeel, Ranger and their Indo friends for Yum Cha at Shangri-La. That was probably the most ‘Chinese’ thing I did all weekend, apart from giving ang baos to Xiao Xiao and Qi Qi.


So…I don’t suppose you had a more exciting CNY than I did? Humour me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

really? I never really liked CNY! I think I might consider going away next year in fact!!

huaiky said...

well...i guess the grass is always greener on the other side eh? :p